Speaker - Author - Standup Comic

My photo
United States
Founder President,.....................................www.winnersdontquit.org----------Winners Don't Quit Association

To comment on a post, please click "comment" after the post and select a service provider. If your provider is not listed, or unknown, select Anonymous.

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Be Ready or Be Sorry

Plenty of room between me and oncoming cars make it look like there's plenty of time for to turn. I quickly turn the wheel and step on the gas. My car moves into the oncoming lane, but the power dies and the steering feels suddenly stiff. It stalled! Hmm, it's never done that before.

Quickly I grab the key and turn it. The engine turns over willingly showing the battery is strong. But turning over or not, it just won't start. What's wrong? Come on, let's go.

My 1999 Toyota, Camry has been running perfectly since I bought it in '02. I instantly loved it's deep red paint and shaded skylight. It's been a great ride right up until today.

"You need a push?" a couple men asked as they came running up to where my dead car blocked the intersection.

I shrugged. "Apparently, thanks. I don't know what's wrong with it."

They pushed my car out of the intersection and to the edge of this slight incline where my car began coasting on it's own. Well away from the intersection, I stopped, took out my cell phone, called triple A and waited for a tow truck.

Pretty boring story, huh? That's the way I like it. No drama. No terribly unpleasant surprises. Planning for the unplanned helps keep life simple.

Since we folks with disabilities have fewer physical and sometimes financial resources than folks without disabilites, planning for the unplanned is especially helpful.

I try to keep my car stocked with cell phone, phone charger, Motor Club insurance, Clif bars, flashlight and drinking water. Why? Because, being bored is always better than being sorry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just left a comment, but I was gonna include one more thing & decided against it. However, it keeps nagging me, so I'll post it. I mentioned that it's good to be prepared for the unexpected. In 2000, I acquired Ulcerative Colitis making me often a prisoner in my own home, however, I discovered that bringing along extra clothes & stuff, I was able to go to a few places. Thus allowing me to get out a bit. So sometimes the extra planning & preparation can be very helpful & liberating. Sometimes we need to step out of our comfort zone & just do it!

Al Foxx said...

I hear what you're saying, Paula.
We're liberated to have a bigger chunk of life when we stretch our comfort zones.
I stepped out of my zone so many times, it had to grow. Now I live a bigger life.