Speaker - Author - Standup Comic

My photo
United States
Founder President,.....................................www.winnersdontquit.org----------Winners Don't Quit Association

To comment on a post, please click "comment" after the post and select a service provider. If your provider is not listed, or unknown, select Anonymous.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

As I Understand "Doing What I Can"...5

Out the window, at the foot of my bed, gray dismal clouds fill the sky. I hear a splash as a car runs over a puddle in the complex parking lot. At least it's not freezing. I turn up the thermostat and appreciate the sound of warm air rushing into my chilled living space.

A faint dusting of snow covers the complex lawn. This seems like a good morning to stay inside where it's warm and dry, I'm thinking as I drop into a chair in my entry way and begin pulling my shoes on. The brace in my left shoe goes almost up to my knee, supporting my ankle and giving me a familiar, secure feeling.


I don't want to walk, but I have to! Having the left side of my body paralyzed is a nuisance as long as I keep myself in fairly good shape. Having one side paralyzed if I let myself get fat and weak would be more than a nuisance. It would be a travesty! I may not be as strong and nimble as I used to be, or even as I want to be, but I'm not as helpless, or as depressed, as I would be if I didn't do what I can to stay in shape.

I'm fairly comfortable with my left arm & leg attrophying smaller and smaller, but I'm still not thrilled with it. What saves the day for me is exercising so I'm in almost as good of shape as I can be.

The other night Jay Leno said something about one in every three Americans is obese. That means one in every three Americans is three Americans.

With Leno's joke in mind, I head out the door and start limping around the block.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

People like to feed their emotions with food; kind of like addicts do with drugs and alcohol. If you eat to fill the blankness in your soul, you get fat. It is one of the most serious health issues, yet can be prevented through exercise and healthy eating, but most Americans don't realize why they are eating too much.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes we have to do stuff that we aren't excited about at the moment, but when we see it's affects on us, THEN we get excited!

Anonymous said...

Exercise is important for all, but especially for the one who has physical limitations. It can strengthen & make us more agile. Also it's good for the attitude & you overall well-being.