Speaker - Author - Standup Comic

My photo
United States
Founder President,.....................................www.winnersdontquit.org----------Winners Don't Quit Association

To comment on a post, please click "comment" after the post and select a service provider. If your provider is not listed, or unknown, select Anonymous.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

As I Understand Blocks to Progress...1

When I first began looking back over my years of rehab, in preparation to write this Post, I remembered what I used to think of as my most shocking discovery. The discovery was that, all along, negative thinking had been my biggest disability. Indeed, the resentment, self pity, fear and the constant feeling of unfairness I felt as I watched other people doing things I too had once taken for granted made my negative thinking a significant block to progressing in my recovery.

However, the shocking fact, at least to me then, was that an even bigger hinderance to my recovery was an unconscious mind set that had possessed me since I'd been old enough to recognize desires or other feelings of discomfort. Although subtle, this mindset had such an insidious impact on my recovery that it not only kept me from progressing, at times it actually pulled me further from my goal of being recovered.

All the doctors agree that my physical injuries are permanent, so why would I speak of being recovered as if recovery were actually possible? To me, being recovered defines a point at which my life has so aligned itself with the universal order of things that the circumstances created by my head injury and paralysis are not seen as limiting factors.

With this in mind, let us explore what I discovered to be an even bigger block to my recovery than even the life sucking power of negative thinking.

(To be continued in my next Post…)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, how we think can DEFINITELY affect our recovery. If we accept the limits others have given us, we're done, BUT we can keep striving. Keep pressing on & we'll surpass the goals others have limited us to.

Al Foxx said...

Yes i agree, Paula. That's why I titled my book, No Limits. It sounds like you and I totally believe that our only limits are those we set for ourselves.

However, in the post As I Understand It, I was beginning to get at an attitude that can sabotage any efforts we make. This attitude steals our joy and affects everyone, whether they have a disability or not.

Of course I'm referring to the attitude of fear that I'm leading up to discussing.

I look forward to your comments Paula and I hope to read many more.

Anonymous said...

So true, our only limits are those we put on ourselves~~whether paralyzed or not often we can find an alternative way to do things. As you said before Al, never give up!
FEAR is a BIG blocker. Fear can keep us from even trying & fear itself can be paralyzing. We may get bumps & bruises from trying new things, but in the end, we'll be happy we tried.