Speaker - Author - Standup Comic

My photo
United States
Founder President,.....................................www.winnersdontquit.org----------Winners Don't Quit Association

To comment on a post, please click "comment" after the post and select a service provider. If your provider is not listed, or unknown, select Anonymous.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

As I Understand Listening to others...6a

I can sound fairly articulate, which makes people sometimes form ideas about me that aren't entirely true. For example, focusing on more than one thing at a time can be real difficult for me. This limitation can make me seem self absorbed, which isn't ALWAYS the case.

For instance, I don't purposely ignore what other people say. However, if I'm totally wrapped up in and enthusiastic about what's going on with me at the moment and the person I'm talking with says something, it won't even register that they said anything.

I don't hear them and choose to ignore them. It's like I'm watching Appollo 11 taking off heading for the first lunar landing and out of the corner of my eye, I see a crow fly by. It's not like I don't see the crow. I see it. It's right there, but the launching rocket ship is so captivating that the crow is just a momentary blip on my radar.

Case in point: This morning I realized I haven't told my brain damaged friend Cathy about my blog. All excited, I call to tell her about it. Thoughts of what a cool contributor she will make fill my whole mind. There's no room for anything else.

I happen to call right when she's in the middle of doing something. She says she's busy right now, but I'm so excited about getting her on my blog that I just say "OK" and keep right on talking. After a few minutes, Cathy says,

"Hold on. I got another call."

She was gone several minutes, during which time I begin thinking. When she gets back on the phone, I ask, "Did you really have another call?"

"No, I just had to finish getting dressed."

We both laugh. It's good to have brain damaged friends who know how it is.

No comments: