Speaker - Author - Standup Comic

My photo
United States
Founder President,.....................................www.winnersdontquit.org----------Winners Don't Quit Association

To comment on a post, please click "comment" after the post and select a service provider. If your provider is not listed, or unknown, select Anonymous.

Friday, January 30, 2009

Disable A Disability

Who do you think has the most difficult disability in the world to deal with? Is it the paraplegic who's stuck in a wheelchair, the quadriplegic who's also stuck in a wheelchair but who can't do things as basic as scratch his or her nose or ring a doorbell? Is it a blind or deaf person? Is it a brain damaged person with anger tendencies? Is it a bi-polar person with radical mood swings or schizophrenics who can't get a moment to themselves?

Is the hardest disability to live with a physical disability or is it a spiritual disability where one's attitude makes his or her problems a problem for everyone around them? An attitude disability is more isolating than a physical disability. Isolating not only from other people but from any peace of mind. Thankfully, when I became willing, I found my attitudinal disability to be easier to fix than my physical disability. All I needed is acceptance. Acceptance is the solution to all my problems. If I am unhappy, it is because I find something about my life unacceptable. Fear makes me unhappy. How can I accept fear? OK, let's think about it. There's only two things in this world to be afraid of. Losing something I have or not getting something I want. By choosing to accept that I am not in control and that I don't know what's best for me, I find that happiness is always within reach. It takes work, but I do it, and if I can do it, anyone can.

My motorcycle crash turned me into a hemiplegic, which means one side of my body is paralyzed. To me, the hardest aspect of the disability I found myself saddled with upon awakening from the month long coma was accepting my new situation and losing the negative attitude of self pity I had acquired.

For years, after my crash, I saw my life as a grotesque painting, an abstract of collection of crisis after crisis, framed by catastrophes and unfortunate circumstances. My negative thoughts made my days seem gloomy, and my need for approval filled me with nameless fears. Without someone to tell me that I was OK, I didn't know who I was, what I was or why I was.

Judging from the suicide rate and the number of people on anti depressants, quite a few people consider their lives to be hopeless collections of unfortunate circumstances. The purpose of this post is to announce two things:
  1. I've discovered a path that leads me to a freedom from fear and other attitude problems. Since discovering that path, I've discovered that the only way for me to keep what I've found is for me to give it away. In other words, I NEED to help anyone stuck in negativity like I was discover how incredibly cool it is to find a path to freedom.
  2. Honestly, if I can hobble down this path, anyone can.

    Relationships with God/self/others

    Bill W., co-founder and main author of AA literature said, "Learning how to live in the greatest peace, partnership and brotherhood with all men and women, of whatever description, is a moving and fascinating adventure." 12 Steps and 12 Traditions, step 8, p. 77"

    The 12 steps of Alcoholics Anonymous are instructions that changed me from an angry, resentful man who was full of self pity and fear to a man who is full of peace and who can get along with nearly anyone. Following the program of AA takes work in order to benefit and grow. Like anything else, I get out what I put in.

    Like I've discovered the 12 steps of Alcoholics Anonymous to be, God's law is a source of peace and lasting happiness. Having grown up in a Christian home and having gone to Christian schools, I considered my thinking on God to be quite well informed, and God seemed way too controlling for my taste. Having my thinking aligned, by the folks in AA, in less of a short sighted, self serving format showed me that thinking of God as controlling is like thinking that Toyota or Maytag are controlling because their manuals tell you how to get the best use out of their machines. Is anyone surprised that Maytag won't honor their warranty if you use sand instead of laundry detergent or that Toyota won't honor theirs if you use Elmer's glue instead of oil? Who thinks of them as controlling?

    Just like Maytag creates washers and dryers, Toyota creates cars and trucks, God creates men and women. Just like Maytag and Toyota have owners' manuals that tell users how to get the best use out of their machines, God gave me rules that tell me how to get the best use out of the life I’ve been given. Would it make sense for him to turn me lose without telling me how to get the best possible use out of the life He gave me? Would it make any sense for me to ignore the instructions I’ve been given?

    The greatest and most helpful command, instruction or insight God ever gave me regarding my relationships with other people is summed up in the 12 steps of Alcoholics Anonymous. God's instruction is to "Love my neighbor as I love myself." How brilliant is that? In other words, God tells us how to have friends and lasting relationships.

7 comments:

Al Foxx said...

writing this and reliving the emotions i felt as i experienced the things i describe was intense and deepened my resolve to help others face the battles life throws at them.

Anonymous said...

I like the way you compared God's manual to a Toyota or Maytag manual. Just like the 12 steps program.
I found Al's book, "No Limits" to be very encouraging & helped me get more into my recovery. When I had my motorcycle accident in 1993, I was told that after a few years, I would no longer improve. Well, I have & as Al says in his book, "Winner's don't quit." I can sure attest to that! YOU CAN! Don't let ANYONE tell you that you won't or you can't. NOT DRS OR THERAPISTS OR ANYONE!!! It may take hard work, but it's worth it, not only for YOUR self-esteem, but to encourage others.

I am now working in the same field that I got my BA in, Therapeutic Recreation. I assist an Activity Director in an Assisted Living facility. So I can definitely attest to the fact that if you just keep reaching, you'll grab your prize!

As Al’s book says “Winners Don’t Quit!”

ginny said...

Al has reminded us all that the 12 steps of AA is really for everyone. We all have experienced tough times or probably will in the future. Knowing and living by the 12 steps, God's rules, and remembering winners don't quit can keep us going. I've experenced it and seen it in Al.

Anonymous said...

Hi Al,

You are an inspiration to others. Thank you!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Al,



I have a question regarding tiredness after your accident. Since my accident, I tire very quickly, do you? If so, what do YOU do about it. If I don't get 8+ hours of sleep, I get real tired before the day is done if I don't take a nap. Being around people for very long, really makes me tired. Maybe it's since I don't hear well, it takes a lot of energy to read lips & stuff. Anyway, I used to go & go & go, so it's frustrating. So I was just wondering if you experience that & if so, what do you do?



Thanks,

Paula

Al Foxx said...

Yes I do tire more easily. I need more sleep since my head injury than I did before my crash. I just function better and am in a far better mood, easier to get along with, if I've had my 7-8 hours of sleep. By the time I go to bed at nite I'm usually so tired I fall asleep before I put my hand splint on. I used to take naps years ago but that was before I discovered the joys of having a good sized cup of coffee in the morning.

Being around people takes more energy than being alone, especially if I'm interacting with them in a meaningful way. As in giving one of my talks or trying to understand the answer to a blog or website question.

Paula said...

Thanks Al,
I kinda' figured that's why the coffee. Unfortunately, that appears as if it couldn't be an option for me because my doctor has told me that I couldn't have coffee because I got Ulcerative Colitis about 8 years ago. I take lots of vitamins & supplements to help with my energy & it has helped a bit, but I still struggle at times.